From:
Paulo Braga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 18:06:04 -0300
I'm returning from a trip during which I had by chance the occasion to
watch in The Hague to an excellent documentary by Frank Scheffer about
Elliott Carter.

The film was premiered on June 17 and was shown in a number of movie
theaters in the Netherlands that are dedicated to non-stupid movies.

The title of the 70 min film produced in 2004 is "A labyrinth of time";
in it, besides extended conversations with the composer -- as enchanting
a person as his music -- people such as Boulez, Barenboim, Rosen and
Oppens among others appear.

There are excerpts of a number of his works and of related composers
like Ives and Varese.

Carter is depicted mainly in his New York apartment but also in Paris;
the film is dedicated to his deceased wife Helen.

Not to be missed even by those who do not yet realize he is the greatest
American composer ever.  ;)

Paulo Braga
Rio de Janeiro