ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:18:44 -0500

Very Well written!
Everyone has their "leaps of faith" or "assumptions."  Some are more
self-evident and some are less so.  There is even the hidden assumption
that "logic works."
So...what are the assumptions YOU think you need to start doing science?
 Personally I think there are fewer assumptions to DO science, than there
are to rely on science as the basis of progressive knowledge.
As for objectivity...in theory I would say pure science (even with its
assumptions) is objective (though relying on one's senses (a source of
subjectivity)) in evaluation of ideas...as is logic...in practice it is
practiced by humans who bring in great deals of subjectivity based upon.
 Thus we are reluctant to give up on scientific ideas that really should be
discarded...that is why things such as the scanning electron microscope
gave images that were disbelieved as they didn't match with prevailling
theory.