HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Douglas Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:05:18 -0500

________________________________

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY on behalf of Roderick Sprague
Sent: Wed 2/11/2004 3:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: For and From: Lester Ross <[log in to unmask]

-------- Original Message --------
From: Lester Ross <mailto:[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Meighan's Bead Typology
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:03:41 -0800

First, does anyone have a copy of Clem Meighan's glass bead typology for
California? It is a manuscript variously dated 1949-1978, and I have a
copy dated 1950. He apparently distributed copies to his students over a
30-year period, all the while he continued to expand it. Various authors
use it, cited it, and claim it is on file at UCLA (Fowler Museum,
Department of Anthropology) or UC Berkeley (Lowie or Heart Museum, the
ARF, or the Department of Anthropology). I have contacted all of the
above asking if they have a copy, and the answer is negative. I also
have been in contact with Clem's widow, who in turn contacted UCLA
again. No luck.

Second, does anyone know where Clem's glass bead type collection went?
Again it is variously claim to be at the above locations, but queries to
those institutions have come up negative.

The reason for this quest is to acquire his latest typology (ca. 1978),
match it to the type collection, then describe the beads using Karklins'
(1995) revision of the Kidd and Kidd (1970) guide for the description of
glass beads. It may not be necessary to actually use the collection,
since there is a collection of 59 color slides supposedly showing all of
his types. Unfortunately, the slides do not provide type numbers.

Once the types can be identified and described, then it will be possible
either to post the typology and corresponding bead type photos to a web
site, or have it published where others can use it. The primary purpose
for getting it public is so that anyone who reads a site report that
includes Meighan's type numbers has a reasonable chance to know what
they refer to.

Thanks,
Lester Ross