HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:07:28 -0400
I can't remember...
There was one day in southern germany when I kept finding pieces of bronze
statues (a small thumb-tip sized head) & pieces of jewellry & whatnot - all
roman - I eventually got so frustrated with having to stop digging to
measure them in & all, that I went over to another area to work with someone
else for a while, & found a big bronze coin (after they'd found absolutely
nothing all day, of course; making me feel even worse) -
I kind of liked finding remains of legionnaires practicing their alphabets
on the sides of some of the barrels they used as wells up on a dutch site;
after the wells silted up they were usually used to dispose of dead
legionaries in, so there was always a lot of armour & bones to drag up, but
that got kind of repetitious after a while (especially standing knee-deep in
water all day to do the digging), but the alphabets were a nice human touch
-
Same dig there was a signet ring with a janus-figure, with a human face on
one side & a wolf on the other...
Strange abstracted faces carved on a piece of wood from a mesolithic site -
only resembling something really scary james helmer found way up in the
arctic somewhere...
Sitting in the sand by the side of the road outside some mastabas in egypt,
leaning back and putting my hands on some mummified feet (and trying to
think of ways to smuggle them out of the country for the benefit of some
friends who might have been interested in that kind of thing)...
Other than that...

geoff carver - SUNY buffalo
http://www.crunchweb.net/87billion/