HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dane Magoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 06:12:44 -0700
Hello Fellow Histarchers:

As a related side note, the duplex that I lived in in
Japan (Niigata prefecture) had a "pit" built directly
into the wooden floor.  It was located in the center
of the kitchen, and was accesed via a trapdoor that
matched the hardwood floor.  The "pit" consisted of a
large igloo cooler type plastic container (approx. 3.5
x 2.5 ft), mounted directly into the subflooring and
supended above the ground surface.  Since the house
was not insulated, it provided an effective storage
area for root crops and vegetable goods (and beer)
during the winter and part of the spring.  I did
notice that the heat of the house kept things from
freezing in the storage container.  Its utility as
cold storage diminished with the increasing heat of
the spring, however.

Since the it was "company" housing, owned by the
township and university I worked for, I do suppose its
use as a "root cellar" for cold storage was the
sanctioned purpose.

If there were some company chickens that I could have
absconded with and covertly BBQ'd during the night,
however, this would have made an OK temporary hiding
place for my contraband.  Since the location of the
"rootcellar" was known to my employers, it would not
have made a great place to store things of a
critically subversive or important nature.

Best wishes,

Dane Magoon