From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:38:05 -0400
Robert Peters:

>My quotation of today is one of the most absurd and mean-spirited I
>could find. To say what should be perfectly clear: I quote this just to
>show how low musicologists can go in their need to serve a dictatorship.

Surely you don't mean to imply that musicologists as a class are lower
than other professions.

>Richard Strauss took Bruno Walters job as president of the Reichsmusikkammer.
>He and Furtwangler thought naively they could do some good by staying
>in Germany but (volutarily - involuntarily?) served the regime and lied
>afterwards about their time under Hitler.

The devil is in the detail.  Strauss was considered to be detached both
by the Nazis and by the opposition.  He did have a Jewish daughter-in-law,
and apparently his compliance or docility protected her.

Bernard Chasan