From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:38:31 -0600
Paul Silverthorne replies to me:

>>Antje Weithaas is a far better violinist than Mutter.
>>Has anyone here heard of Weithaas, let alone heard her?
>
>I heard  her playing Mozart at the Proms last summer, I was not at all
>impressed.  Whatever one may like or dislike about Mutter, she's in a
>totally different league.

Well, you certainly know far more about string playing than I do.  I
heard Weithaas do a knockout performance of the Korngold concerto, with
its notorious intonation problems.  Not only was she in tune, but her
intonation was one of the exciting things about the performance.  A
marvelously sweet tone.  Also, her understanding of the piece and her
phrasing.  I certainly think Mutter a wonderful violinist, but I've also
heard her do walk-throughs, and for many of her celebrated recordings
(especially some of the ones with Karajan), I've yet to figure out the
reasons for the enthusiasm.

Steve Schwartz