From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:39:47 -0800
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>So, all you eclectic savants: how do you find the Iris Dements,
>Melachrinos, Esquivals, and Dennys (none of whom I have heard of
>much less heard) of the world?

One great resource is the PMRS or the Public Radio Music Source.  Much
ecclectica is played on Public Radio Stations, and this site lists most
of the music, and where to get it, of music played on National Public
Radio Programs.

Another great source is your local used record store.  If you still
have a turntable, you can pick up all of the above mentioned bachelor
pad music on vinyl for as little as 50 cents a pop. If you like it,
discard the vinyl and buy the cd.

Most independent artists have their own web sites.  You can listen to
sound samples there.

Labels such as Capitol's Ultra Lounge have sites as well.

At last count, the upstairs (popular) department at Tower Records had
150 listening stations.  That makes for a good chance that you might
find one or two new artists that you like.

Read Rolling Stone.

For dance and electronic music, visit www.adnoiseam.com

Go to a large used record store.  CDSource in Dallas has thousands of
open cds.  (used) which are allowed to be sampled.

These are just a few of the ideas.

Kevin