David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:14:59 +0000
I'd like to buy myself a Sheherazade but am unsure which one to go for.
I want an exciting characterful performance in realistic sound (deep
rich bass, timpani has impact etc.) I'm considering two versions and
was wondering if there are any comments:

1.  Batiz / Philharmonia (Naxos) This does sound volatile and is beautifully
recorded.

2.  Svetlanov/LSO (BBC Legends) This had several reviewers on the edge
of their seat.  One complaint is that the timpani are too far forward,
but the timpani is exciting in a live performance.  Also the dreaded dry
acoustic of London's awful Royal Festival Hall ("That barn" - Sir Thomas
Beecham).  Does Svetlanov divide the violins?

Many thanks,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK