From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:53:58 -0500
David Harbin:

>I have these Cleveland Orchestra recordings whihc are all impressive for
>the technical qulaities of the orchestra.  Are there any others I should
>especailly look out for?

Mozart: Sym 39; Divertimento 2; Clarinet Concerto; any piano concerto; Eine
kleine; Violin Concerto No. 5 (all with Szell)
Haydn: Symphonies 93-99
Beethoven: The 4 Leonora overtures (Szell); Piano Concertos (Gilels/Szell)
Mahler: Symphony No. 4 (Szell); Symphony No. 9 (Dohnanyi)
Walton: Symphony No. 2; Variations on a Theme by Hindemith (Szell)
Dvorak: Slavonic Dances (complete); Carnival Overture; Symphonies 7-9
(Szell); Symphony No. 8 (Dohnanyi)
Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 1 (Szell); Concerto for Orchestra (Szell --
although abridged); Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta (Dohnanyi)
Janacek: Sinfonietta (Szell)
Poulenc: Gloria / Stravinsky: Symphony of Psalms (Shaw)
Debussy: Images (Boulez)
Schumann: Symphonies (complete) (Szell); Symphony No. 2 (Dohnanyi)
Schubert: Incidental Music from Rosamunde; Symphony No. 8; Symphony No. 9
(Szell)
Mendelssohn: Incidental Music from Midsummer Night's Dream; Symphony No. 4;
Violin Concerto (Szell)
Brahms: Overtures, Symphonies (esp. 3 and 4), ALL the concertos (Szell)
Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite (Szell)
Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije Suite; Symphony No. 5 Bb (Szell)
Mussorgsky-Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (Szell)
Ravel: Introduction and Allegro; Pavane pour une infante defunte; Le
Tombeau de Couperin (Szell)
Smetana: Bartered Bride Overture and 3 Dances; Moldau (Szell)
Strauss: Don Juan; Tod und Verklaerung; Till Eulenspiegel; Symphonia
Domestica (Szell); Heldenleben (Dohnanyi)
Strauss family: Waltzes and fugitive pieces (Szell)
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite (Szell)
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1; Symphony No. 5 (Szell); Symphony No. 6
(Dohnanyi)
Varese: Ameriques (Dohnanyi)
Wagner: Anything (Szell); Rheingold & Walkuerie (Dohnanyi)
Webern: Orchestral works (Dohnanyi)

>They don't seem to make as many recordings as they used to.  However, I
>see a Belioz Romeo & Juliette under Boulez is comming up.

Too expensive and they don't seem to sell.

Steve Schwartz