ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Keith T Ostfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:01:10 -0600

Hello everyone,

Understanding what we measure, how we measure, and how we use
measurement are essential skills for everyone from the youngest learner
to the oldest adult.  As Museums and Science Centers, we offer countless
opportunities for visitors to explore measurement.  The Children's
Museum of Houston is very pleased to announce a pre-conference workshop
examining how to "mathematize" your exhibits and programming using
measurement at this year's Association of Children's Museums
InterActivity conference at Indianapolis.

In partnership with TERC and ASTC in the Math Momentum project, we have
developed the "Measurement Matters for Children" workshop.  This
hands-on, interactive workshop and discussion will help demystify
mathematics and develop understanding for how to incorporate measurement
into your institutions cheaply and easily.  As participants, you will
engage in hands-on activities developed by both TERC and through CMH's
own work that highlight how children measure.  In addition, we will
discuss how these and other activities can be easily implemented into a
museum setting, how to make math accessible to all visitors, and allow
you an opportunity to brainstorm how to highlight mathematics in your
museums.

Taking place on Wednesday, April 27th from 9am - 4pm in the Westin
Indianapolis and led by Dr. Jan Mokros, a math educator with TERC, this
workshop is excellent for both exhibit development and educational
programming staff alike.  We encourage multiple staff from each
institution to attend.  Included in the $35 fee (yes, ONLY $35) are
copies of all activities we will present in the workshop plus a light
continental breakfast, a box lunch, and an afternoon snack.

If you'd like more information, please feel free to contact me off-list
at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .  Or, to
register, please contact Laura Huerta at ACM at
[log in to unmask] or by phone at 202-898-1080.  Space is
limited - please register before it fills.  Feel free to pass this on to
anyone who you think will benefit from participation.

I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Sincerely,
Keith

Keith Ostfeld
Director of Design and Production