Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:59:55 -0400
From:
Chris Parles <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz asked:

>Bernstein was, as far as I know, the first to record the Schumanns with
>the original orchestrations, for Columbia somewhere around 1960.  Does
>he use these in the new set?

I am pretty sure he uses the original orchestrations, as he did in
his Columbia recordings.  When I said "liberties" I meant more in his
conducting and interpretations, per se, though really he is pretty
straightforward for Bernstein.  Mostly he just gives the performances
a shot of energy that I haven't found in practically any other set.

Chris Parles