From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:17:46 -0400
preacher wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question for you oldies on this list.
> I am making honey vinegar. It working in the crock now.

The best way to make any vinegar is not in a crock but in jars/jugs that
can be fitted with an air lock, just as if you were going to make wine
(carboys and gallon jugs are excellent. They have narrow necks that
allow easy insertion of an air lock.)

You need fairly sterile conditions to start and a good, known mother to
make the vinegar. You will get vinegar with the crock method but no
telling what it will taste like or what other organisms are in it.
Probably why a lot of "oldies" who made it that way are no longer
around. You should use set techniques that are just like making good wine.

You can get good vinegar mothers from wine making stores or on the net.
Plus all the other equipment (like air locks) and campeden tablets for
sterilization that will give an excellent, good tasting, safe product.
Once you make your first batch, you will then have your own vinegar
mother to work with.

> Do I have to heat it up in the final stage to kill botulism

Yes- Pressure cooker to be safe since you do not know what you have in
the crock.

But you do not need to do so with the proper method.

If you make vinegar the air lock way and start with the right amount of
sugar/honey and add a good mother, you will get strong acid content,
which will keep it safe. It needs to be over 5% which is not difficult
if you start with the right mix of ingredients.

and how do I
> know it is ok to drink without harm when it is done.
> Anyone who can help , please advice.

Since you started it in a crock, you get whatever has gone into it. It
may taste terrible as well.

As Dave said, the probability is in your favor that you will not keel
over even if you do not pressure cook it since it will probably be
acidic enough to keep botulism at bay, but then again....

Need a good insurance agent?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine