From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:11:44 -0000
Bob asked if thymol is effective against tracheal mites (acarine).

When I started beekeeping (1981) I used to worry about acarine (and
everything else connected with the health of my bees!) and regularly
dissected bees with symptoms, or from colonies that died in the winter.  I
used Folbex (now no longer available) to try to 'save' infested colonies.  I
also used Fumidil regularly against nosema.

After a few years of this, I realised that I was on a treadmill and decided
to allow susceptible colonies to die and to breed from those that survived.
The problems rapidly disappeared and I have not bothered to look for either
acarine or nosema for many years.  I am hoping that by using thymol to keep
varroa to sub-lethal levels I will achieve the same happy situation with
them in due course!

I would expect thymol to be effective against acarine, but without an
acarine problem I would be unable to conduct any meaningful tests.  I would
have thought that the US would have been a better testing ground.

Co-incidentally, I re-read Manley's 'Honey Farming' on my recent holiday.