From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:49:54 -0600
I recalled seing a study by Adony Melathopoulos and John Gates, so I
wrote Adony.

Here is what he says.

The charts he sent me with more detailed info are at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/adony/

--- begin adony's reply to my query --

It was published in the June issue of ABJ this year.

Here is the abstract of the paper:

API LIFE VAR  and Apiguard  were evaluated for their ability to control
Varroa mites and for safety to bees following fall treatment of
full-sized colonies in two different apiaries in British Columbia,
Canada.  Colonies treated with API LIFE VAR or Apiguard provided
comparable Varroa control to that observed among colonies treated with
fluvalinate (Apistan ), a highly-effective Varroa acaricide.  API LIFE
VAR-treated colonies during the first week of treatment at one apiary,
however, had 70% fewer Varroa drop on adhesive boards compared with
Apistan-treated colonies.  Although Apiguard-treated colonies had
similar levels of Varroa drop to those treated with Apistan, they had
approximately 40% fewer adult bees and sealed brood in one apiary the
spring following treatment.  The release rate of all volatile compounds
was considerably higher for Apiguard than API LIFE VAR over the first 3
d of treatment, however rates were similar throughout the remaining
treatment period, suggesting the release rate of thymol only differs
initially between the products.  Our results indicate that fall
treatments with either API LIFE VAR or Apiguard provide good control of
low-level Varroa infestations with limited negative effects on early
spring bee population.

This fall I am running a slow-release formic acid vs Mite Wipe vs
liquid oxalic acid trial.  Great weather for formic acid and the 21 day
treatment ends this week (I started as soon as the honey supers came
off).  Good mite infestation for an experiment as well.  I will apply
the oxalic just before wrapping.  Knock what ever remains among the
treatments down in May.

Adony

Adony Melathopoulos, M.P.M.
Apiculture Biotechnician / Biotechnicien en Apiculture
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada / Agriculture et Agroalimentaire
Canada
Telephone / Téléphone: 780-354-5130
Facsimile / Télécopieur:  780-354-8171
P.O. Box 29 / C.P. 29
Beaverlodge,  Alberta / Beaverlodge (Alberta)
T0H 0C0   Canada