ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marc Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:10:01 -0500

I vividly remember, from years ago, seeing a display which was a row of blue
lights along the top of a catfish tank, like a large audio level meter. The
discharges from the catfish made the meter light up, left to right,
depending on the strength of the discharge. It was accompanied by a
sine-wave sound generator, higher frequencies being higher voltages.

A workable analog voltmeter will probably be small and dim. Remember also
that many children have never seen an analog readout and will not know to
look for a moving needle.

What I don't remember so vividly is where it was; I believe it was at the
aquarium in Baltimore.

Marc Taylor
Coordinator, Andrus Planetarium
Hudson River Museum