From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:23:32 +0000
Jeff Dunn writes about modern stagings that greatly alter the orginal
production:

>>I am not a conservative.

Concerning this matter, I am a conservative.  I find that 'updating' a
stage work in order to appeal to modern and more sophisticated audiences
a rather odd way to go.  Don't update - simply create a new work.

Christopher Webber writes:

>As Janacek's finale reminds us, the world - and theatrical style - moves
>ever on.

Mr. Webber writes as if theatrical style develops in some natural
fashion similar to the evolution of organic matter.  This is not the
case.  Theatrical style changes only if one or more individuals purposely
make it change.

Don Satz