From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:14:22 -0500
Since I have long had little time to visit retail stores for recordings
I have acquired most of my collection through the mail, online or
otherwise.  Columbia House was one of the "clubs" which I joined, and
the one I quit and rejoined more than once.  It has long been apparent
that it was time to quit again, because it was getting hard even to
locate the "classical" section in their flyers, and much of what was
there was crossover material that did not interest me.  (I did get a
couple of nice Anonymous 4 recordings in the last year with some bonus
points.) But just as I was getting to write a "let me know if you ever
get serious about classical music again" letter, they beat me to it.  A
letter just arrived saying that they were quitting the classical music
business and were transferring my membership to the Musical Heritage
Society!  Two odd things about that: they didn't ask if this was OK with
me and, as it happens I have maintained a MHS membership for close to
40 years.  I sure hope I don't now have two.

Anyway, here is another milestone in the increasing marginalization of
this niche market by the recording industry.  Part of me wants to say
good riddance to Columbia House, but part of me is sad about the general
situation.

Jim Tobin