From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:33:54 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Don, why not quote my exact words?  I wrote that MOST of Bach's music
>is Christian and this is simply true.  I do not know why Bach wrote the
>Goldberg Variations and the Brandenburg Concertos are not Christian -
>but cantatas and masses and passions are Christian music, if you like
>it or not.

If I may break into this fistfight:) Is it not true that much of Bach's
secular is lost and the Goldberg Variations and the Brandenburg Concertos
happen to be passed down by luck.  Can it be that Bach music that survived
depended on others who valued certain elements of Christian music.  I
read that it is surmised that a lot of his secular music became lost and
it happened that the Brandenburgs found its way here.

My own opinion is that I do not know how Bach thought of the Bible,
Christianity, or the exact divinity of Jesus.  Sure he wrote Christian
music, well documented by others on these posts.  But Bach was not exposed
other teachings.  The thing is this to me: Christianity has changed many
times over the last 2000 yrs and somehow I do not see Bach as this "born
again" person, the doctrine now being taught in fundamentalist churches
now.  And even now, people revere Jesus without believing all these
doctrines associated with him.  So what is my point?  I think Bach can
write Christian music without really being Christian in the sense I see
it being used.  I see it all the time, people being exposed as not really
being sincere in their beliefs(i,e, the specific doctrine) yet yearn ing
to be close to the source.  If it can be found that Bach wrote personal
letters (like Mozart wrote to his family) that he writes how his faith
helps him here and there, and mentions specific teachings by name, perhaps
I can be persuaded.  But maybe they did not go around writing of such
personal matters.  Anyone know?

Glenn Miller