From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:26:05 -0400
The original poster (IIRC) and some who followed him suggested that
one is moved to become a believer in the Christian faith by Bach's music
and his setting of Christian texts.  I would suggest that one who finds
Jephtha as the most moving of Handel's vocal works, as I do, might be
moved to a religious concept of sacrificing his daughter (unintentionally)
when he is faced with a major contest.  The fact that things turn out
nicely in Handel's oratorio, following the alternate exegesis does not
change this possibility.

One who finds Wagner's Walkuere a very moving and emotionally wrenching
experience might be moved to take shelter in someone's house and then
discover the attraction of the man's wife and have to copulate with her
and become aware at the same time that she is one's sister.  One might
feel that a child will be born from such a hieros gamos who will have
something to do with the Goetterdaemmerung.

But we need not believe the texts or take them as our religion and forgo
rational thinking just because the music is great.

Yoel