Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:48:07 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
>Allen posted a wild idea of turning the hive upside down to do oxalic acid dripping in both brood boxes without having to break the boxes apart.

I must say that is a very creative solution. I hope you didn't make a joke and i make a complete fool of myself now.

But wouldn't the bees go berzerk (just like they do when i break the boxes apart)? I suspect my bees would anyway. Berzerk bees in the late fall are no fun, because they rather walk than fly and they tend to walk as far inside your overall as possible and then get stuck and sting.

How would you ensure the boxes don't come apart when you turn the hive over? Do yhou think the propolis would be enough?

I have tried oxalic dripping two years in a row and apart from having to disturb the bees in the late fall, it's really simple. However, it's common  knowledge that it's not enough to keep the mite levels down. It has to be combined with other methods (sorry if i'm stating a well known fact to you experts here). I have also been removing drone brood in the spring.

/Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2