From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:55:33 -0700
West Virginia faces even more challenges if the apiary inspection program
is cut.  Cuts in inspection programs and travel for inspectors, plus lack
of proper training in many states has resulted in a return to the
conditions of the 60's with respect to the issue of bee damage from
pesticides.

Since Dan Mayer moved to Montana, he and I have been getting more and
more calls for help from around the nation.  These calls coincide with
the emergence of new pesticides that may be having unexpected impacts on
bees -- but with the lack of trained inspectors, dollars to enforce
regulations, etc., its difficult to know what problems are from mites,
from nutrition, from monoculture agriculture, from urbanization, and from
pesticides.

As such, the beekeeper is left with virtually no help, but many are
getting fed up and have started filing lawsuits - and by that, I mean
class action suits involving lots of beekeepers and lots of states, with
a strong possability of involving Canadian beekeepers.

Lessons learned in the 60s about basic orchard management, bee
protection, and related topics seem to have been forgotten.  At least one
judge has proclaimed pesticide labels to be simply advisory.  If that
stands, the pesticide labels will be worthless.

We've seen a bit of movement.  EPA is going to hold a meeting shortly
after the first of the year to talk about some of the new generation
pesticides.  We're hosting a national forum on bees, other pollinators,
and pesticides next summer in Montana.

Now is not the time to cut apiary inspection programs, outreach, and
education.

Mites and africanized bees aren't the only challenges to beekeeping, and
high honey prices may or may not continue.  I don't mean to sound
alarmist, but the industry has to look beyond the crisis of the day
(e.g., mites) and look at the condition and future of the whole.

Jerry Bromenshenk

Bee Alert Technology, Inc.