From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:55:38 -0600
> Small nucs, with what we beekeepers may think of as inadequate stores
> often survive better than some full sized colonies.

That is very true.  There are many, many subtleties involved in
overwintering bees and the understanding of how bees function.  Location
and local climate are huge factors, as are the unique history of each
colony.  A viable colony of bees is much more than simply some bees,
brood, and comb stuck into a box.

Because bees can withstand an amazing amount of abuse and mismanagement
during the warmer parts of the year, average beekeepers often get the
false impression that they understand bees, and that they know how to do
things.  Winter can change all that, because winter in cold climates,
and even warmer ones, stresses bees sufficiently that effects of the
blunders of the beekeeper -- which the bees were able to mitigate in
good times -- finally exceed their tolerance for mismanagement, and
result in colony death.

Recent discussion has covered a few of the factors and mentioned some
successes and expressed optimism, but many of the particpants in
previous rounds seem silent.  The BEE-L archives are full of carefully
written discourses and energetic debates.

Past discussion on this topic has pointed out that wintering nucs on top
of strong hives seems to work in Vermont and some other areas, but is a
prescription for dwindling or death of the lower colony in some other
areas, such as the one in which I operate.  Past discussion has also
discussed the effects of premature plugging and the date on which the
new queen began laying in a nuc.  Past discussions have also pointed out
that a procedure may appear to work 100% one year, but never work well
again, for unknown reasons.

Nucs can be wintered in cold climates with long wintrers, but there are
many details to consider, and few beekeepers in cold climates are very
happy with their success in the long run.  Most go back to wintering
strong colonies or buying package bees, given a choice.

Anyone who can winter nucs consistently -- ten years in a row without a
wreck -- and economically in cold climates can call himself (herself) a
master (mistress) beekeeper.

IMO, anyhow.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/