From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:44:38 -0600
I also heard Aubade first on a car radio.  I was already acquainted
with his Piano Concerto, Concerto for Two Pianos, his Organ Concerto and
the Concert champetre, for harpsichord and orchestra, which are equally
delightful.  Poulenc's instrumental music is perky and quirky, inspired
in part by Satie, and in reaction to the heavy solemnity of Wagner and
post-Wagnerian German music.  Dating as it did from the post World War
I period this is understandable.

Jim Tobin