HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:33:53 -0500
Mark,

When in the field in 1984, my crew found a waterlogged pit feature encased
in old pond sediment that was chock full of tiny black seeds and cut leather
scraps. I presumed the tannin from the leather and anaerobic conditions
preserved the organics. We captured the leather in the sediment and same liquid
found in the ground in small plastic food containers and placed them in iced
coolers for transport to a refrigerator. Not having the funds for hiring a
conservator, we washed off the leather scraps in distilled water (about five
baths), always returning it to the refrigerator, and eventually put them in
solutions of distilled water and carbowax. Eventually, we increased the carbowax  (I
now forget the percentage) and let the conserved items dry. They are hard as
rock now, but have remained in great condition for all these years. We now
have  them in ventilated polyethylene bags set in a silica gel container in our
curation facility set at 60% humidity and 55 degrees.

I imagine shoes would be a composite of metal, wood, and cotton strings.
Something that complicated should be done by a conservator. But this does not
mean you could not work out a field plan with that person.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.