HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:18:23 -0500
The interesting thing is that both can be illustrated (or could have
been). I like fence diagrams, take the stratigraphy that has been
drawn, photocopy it, paste it onto manila file cardboard and join them
up as the walls were excavated, then stare blankly into space when the
reviewer asks for a copy of the 3D depictions. Apparently a
mis-communication between the PI and the State. It was primarily a
multicomponent prehistoric site on Jay Gould's former property sold by
the nuns "Sisters of Mercy" to developers, not to Mercy College, the
abutter. I also produced a Harris matrix for the site which had 12 c14
samples processed yielding dates from 5 millenia of sporadic
occupation along the Hudson River in Dobbs Ferry, NY.

A similar computer program, from the people who were making AutoCAD
add-ons, like QuickSurf a very fast 3D topo program, from Schreiber
Instruments, Inc., that creates the many different mathematical
varieties of contouring and a volume digital elevation model or "dem"
in visual memory first, was called "Spatial Explorer" being developed
(ca. 1994) which I had the opportunity to try. You could expand the
stratigraphy into the surrounding dem through the digitized profiles,
and then take a user defined digital boring and produce a small
profile of the "test" across the landscape. An extension of the
geological "fence" diagrams. I have looked since and haven't been able
to find it.