HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 23:10:35 +0100
I once lived in York's disused fire station one cold winter when digging on
a deserted village in rural Yorkshire before going to University- the same
time as a certain Adrian and Mary Praetzellis were digging in York and
numerous pints of beer was the only thing that got me to sleep in the cold
accomodation. However, to return this thread to some serious archaeology,
Kistemaker, R. E., and V. T. van Vilsteren, (eds.), 1994, Beer! The Story of
Holland's Favourite Drink. Amsterdam Historical Museum, Amsterdam and Drents
Museum, Assen is esential reading on the history and material culture of
beer drinking. Fascinating stuff on the use of bog myrtle to flavour ale
before hops, drinking games and the interpretation of tavern scenes in Dutch
art. My wife also has a PhD in 19th century English and Welsh Pub Tokens and
has just sent off the final proofs of her mega-work on the subject- to be
published as  a monograph by the Royal Numismatic Society and indeed is
about to offer a paper at York which is more than I have managed to do so
far as a long standing SHA member.

paul courtney
Leicester
UK