HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:49:20 -0600

What is Ball Clay?

Ball clay is an extremely rare mineral found in very few places around the

world. Its name dates back to the early methods of mining when specialized

hand tools were used to extract the clay in rough cube shapes of about 30

cm. As the corners were knocked through handling and storage these cubes

became rounded and ‘ball’ shaped. It also is sometimes referred to as

plastic clay.

For more details:

http://www.ima-na.org/about_industrial_minerals/ball_clay.asp

And....http://www.wbb.co.uk/web/website.nsf/0/a960b9cb0cff152d80256caf004c74c7?OpenDocument

What is the Difference between Ball Clay and China Clay?

The mineral kaolinite forms a major component in both ball clay and china

clay (which is also known as kaolin). But the two materials are quite

different from each other.

China clay (mostly composed of kaolinite, mica and quartz minerals)

remained in the place where it was formed as the feldspars in the granite

decomposed. In South West England, the funnel-shaped deposits of china clay

remain located amidst their parent rock - the surrounding "granite matrix".

However, ball clay is a sedimentary clay - carried far from where the

kaolinite was first formed. Rivers and streams washed away the decomposed

granite, mixing it with other clay minerals, sands, gravels and vegetation

as they flowed down from the uplands to form the deposits of ball clay in

low lying basins. In ball clays, there are usually three dominant minerals:

from 20 - 80% kaolinite; 10-25% mica, and 6-65% quartz. In addition, there

are other from 20 - 80% kaolinite; 10-25% mica, and 6-65% quartz. In

addition, there are other 'accessory' minerals and some carbonaceous

material (derived from ancient plants). The wide variation in minerals

make-up, and in the sizes of the clay particles result in different

characteristics for individual ball clay seams.

And yet even more info on Clay:

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jcflowers1/rlo/lceramicsclay.htm

Smoke

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA

Ozark-St. Francis National Forests

605 West Main Street

Russellville, Arkansas 72801

(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

                      George Myers

                      <georgejmyersjr@h         To:      [log in to unmask]

                      otmail.com>               cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject: Fw: stem bore diameters

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      03/11/2004 12:24

                      PM