HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Chenoweth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:26:14 -0800
Ron et al,
When I was a kid we used to vacation on Cape Cod.  The
bay there is pretty shallow, and in the 1950’s the
Navy beached an old liberty ship (the James
Longstreet, I think was its name) on a sand bar about
2 miles from shore and use to for bombing target
practice.  My mother used to watch the planes fly over
and drop bombs on it when she was a kid vacationing
there in the early 1950’s.

It was still there when I was young, and you can see a
few of the steel ribs even today at low tide, but
between it rusting away and ten years’ bombing, there
isn’t much left.  A local historian (and quite a
character) Noel Beyle wrote a few books on it, and one
is one the web.  Nice pictures showing the steel
construction (inside and out after a few direct
hits!), and some info on the construction yard which
was in Texas:

http://www.armed-guard.com/longst.html

There’s also some information on construction, etc.

Hope someone finds this interesting/useful.

John M. Chenoweth
U of Pennsylvania