HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:04:34 -0500
Another recent film that comes no where near the detail and accuracy of M & C
is entitled "Timeline".  It mixes sci fi and history in improbable but
entertaining ways.  I went to see the archaeologists and the medieval scenes in SW
France, purely for escapism.  However, I was absolutely horrified with one
aspect of the film. The English were portrayed as bestial bounders, while the
French were shown as sensitive freedom fighters. I realize intellectually that
both sides were prone to atrocities, but emotionally it was not a satisfying
afternoon.  Guess it upset my stereotype of Brits as 19th century Victorians and
French as 18th century absolutists or anarchists.  As an archaeologist, I
should know better than to "freeze frame" the cultures that interest me.  The film
is still fun!