HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:31:42 -0500
On Dec 1, 2003, at 10:36 PM, Daniel H. Weiskotten wrote:

> I also have some sort of nasty chemistry that ticks and such don't
> like.  I
> grew up outside of the tick and chigger regions, and never saw a tick
> until
> a few years ago (and never a chigger that I know).  Although I have
> been on
> projects were ticks infest every fold of clothing and inch of skin I
> have
> had only but two or three actual bites from ticks!

20+ years ago a study was done regarding the attractiveness of folks to
biting bugs. Three types of folks were to be potential blood banks:
those that bugs didn't like (Dan W.), those that bugs were sometimes
attracted to, and those (moi) who carried around a sign to bugs that
meant "free banquet here". Under a variety of conditions, using a
screened enclosure and identical conditions for each test done for each
person, they reproduced the obvious: that those unfortunates that bugs
liked got bitten the most. They concluded that there was an unknown
pheromone at work. Dan would appear to exude it in abundance, while my
genes have decreed it to be non-existent.

The good news is that if one has GERD caused by heliobacter pylorem,
then the prophylactic tetracycline for Lyme Disease will completely
cure GERD and enable a massive decrease in health insurance premiums.

Lyle Browning