HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:20:40 -0400
"Brother Jim Jones" is hot button issue apparently, a local "Full" Gospel
here in the Bronx, NY had newsletters placed on the cars around the services
which had a ministry which claimed in interviewing people who had left
"Jonestown" in the Co-Operative Republic of Guyana [1966], (I've worked in
the historical fieldwork of New Amsterdam with a sponsored Guyanese-American
named "Mohammed" in NYC years ago) claiming those people poisoned, were not
killed by the minister, but by 2 operatives of the US government. How would
historical archaeology there help?

Since I brought the topic up, as a reference to another article run by a
news service only to perhaps introduce another topic, that is sacred
preservation, next to which I once worked to the church ("Fight the Good
Fight") it says on the church, the minister of which was the head of the
organization for the preservation of sacred structures in the United States,
which has become an issue in preservation, that is the character of historic
neighborhoods has been "threatened" by the alterations proposed by religious
organizations within the district, which become a court case. Isn't that
part of historical archaeology?

And while I'm on the topic, as archaeologists have been called upon to
excavate the grave of Pierre Toussaint, an African-American considered for
sainthood in the Catholic Church, I have worked in, a Shaker cemetery, a
Dutch Reformed churchyard, a Presbyterian one, unmarked burials in "Madison
Barracks," Sacket's Harbor, NY and an yet to be announced source, in my
opinion, unmarked burial ground in New York City's City Hall Park, designed
by the architect of the Montauk Lighthouse, commissioned by President George
Washington.

I thought as an observer of this discipline, that the information or
hyperlink, would be of interest.

George Myers