HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Striker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:55:49 -0400
I'm afraid that I have to stop lurking for a moment to point out that
recording an historic feature in the units in which it was made provides the
investigator with insight into the behavior of the person responsible that
is not available when using metric.

Consider the following description of a groundhog lime kiln that was found
in southern Indiana:

"The aboveground section of the kiln consists of an arch, with metal spacers
placed between the blocks.  The arch measures 1.90 m in height from the
ground surface to the top of the arch, and is 3.38 m in width.  The depth of
the kiln is 0.93 m."

These are precise descriptive measurements.  If you convert them to
"standard measure" the same passage reads:

"The arch measures 6 feet, 2 inches in height from the ground surface to the
top of the arch, and is 11 feet in width.  The depth of the kiln is 3 feet."

I think that the latter description provides more information about the
intention of the builder.  The builder had a mental template from which he
constructed the lime kiln, and that template was not expressed in
decimeters.

Michael Striker
ASC Group, Inc.
1624 Burlignton Pike, Suite D