HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 05:42:21 -0400
At 12:54 AM -0700 9/8/03, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:
>Carol,
>
>Most archaeologists in this country use the metric system when measuring.
>The only time I found people using inches was at Wharram Percy in Yorkshire.

The Delaware SHPO requires that historic-period sites be recorded in
the English system. It makes no sense whatever to muddle through a
tangle of metrics that mean absolutely nothing, when a ten-foot wall
makes perfectly good sense when you measure it in the system its
builder used.

Many years ago, "metric" meant feet and tenths, or engineer's measure.

--
Ned

Continued availability of McSorley's Ale and Yuengling's Porter is
comforting reassurance that intelligent life may yet be found on the
same planet that harbors George Bush and John Ashcroft.