HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Sterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:14:47 -0700
Ditto on Anita's comment.

We will often save stamped roof and floor tiles and bricks (or sometimes
stamp fragments) for analysis and curation, but generally it is a "weigh it
in the field and backfill" strategy for us as well. I have mixed emotions
about the ethics of discard once something has been collected and returned
to the lab. (But maybe that's just me.)

We then often give "ballpark" estimates of coverage (sq. footage) based on
weight ratio of complete tiles to discard. Not perfect, but more practical
than curating multiple boxes of common brick or tile fragments!

mas