HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:34:20 -0600
HISTarchers:

I'm ready to throw in the towel. I have the great misfortune to be writing
up a report someone else did the excavation and artifact descriptions for.
The lab analyst sometimes put down a start date of 1914 for
selenium-clarified glass and sometimes 1915. While it seems a minor point,
it appears, these fragments are my terminous post quem in a few cases. The
lab manual supplied with the report documentation does not give me a
citation for her date for selenium clarified glass. My limited library does
not seem to want to yield up much information on the subject.

Can anyone give me a solid date (is there such a thing?) and a citation? It
would be nice to have an ending date, too, if possible. I believe its 1934
or 1935 or thereabouts. Again, I have no citations, so don't know for sure.

I expect the beginning date has to do with the cut-off of manganese from
Europe in about 1915, making 1915 a reasonable date.

Oh, and can anyone corroborate my suspicions that it might be pretty hard
to tell selenium-clarified glass just by looking at it? This stuff came
from a buried context (not solarized). Should I be suspicious?

  Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨
    National Park Service ? Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨
                             505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American
              people so that all may experience our heritage.