From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:35:28 -0400
While we're on the symphonies, is there anyone out there like myself who
prefers the First to the Second?  It seems that everyone likes the Second
better (or even the Third).  Why?  To me, only the second movement of
the Second achieves greatness, whereas the First seems more integrated
and melodically superior.

Two of the many great things about the First I like are the way the
motto theme is taken from the last five notes of the Enigma Variations.
I also love the scale-stretching sweeps of strings at the motto's return
in the 4th movement (reminiscent of their use in "In the South" 4 years
earlier).

With the Second Symphony, on the other hand, I hear too much of a blustery,
imperial swagger in the first movement.  For some reason, this really
puts me off here and not in other works.

Should I see a therapist?

Jeff Dunn
Alameda, CA