From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:56:07 +0000
    Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)
            Two Symphonies

Symphony No. 1 in D major, Op. 52 ("From my Homeland")
Symphony No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 55

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins, conductor
Recorded in City Hall, Glasgow, February 2002
Hyperion 67338 [71:58]

Comparisons: None on the market and don't expect any in the near future

Sergei Bortkiewicz was an obscure composer born and raised in the Ukraine.
Even when alive, he did not achieve much fame if for no other reason
than he didn't stay very long in one place.  He seemed to prefer Germany
but had to flee during both World Wars.  He also couldn't stay in Russia
when the Revolution made it imperative for his family to take flight.
Obviously, being in the wrong place at the wrong time did nothing to
advance Bortkiewicz's career.

Bortkiewicz's obscurity is assisted by his total disregard for the modern
musical trends of the early 20th century.  Although both his symphonies
were composed in the late 1930's, they sound like they come from the
year 1870.  Such a strong 'backwards' emphasis and the fact that he was
not one of the greatest Russian composers likely results in his lack of
reputation.

Is Bortkiewicz a *good* Russian composer?  Certainly.  His command of
structure is admirable, development of themes is professional, and his
basic melodies are attractive.  In addition, the man knew how to use the
brass sections of orchestras to create contrast and excitement.  Actually,
I find that his employment of brass instruments is his most endearing
musical quality, and Brabbins insures that the brass are incisive and
insistent.

Unfortunately, Bortkiewicz's music has little distinction and even less
originality.  The two symphonies on the Hyperion disc reveal a very heavy
debt to Tchaikovsky with deserved mention going to Borodin, Balakirev,
and Rachmaninov.

Both Bortkiewicz symphonies have the typical four-movement structure
with fast 2nd movements and slow 3rd movements.  The 2nd movements are
the most enjoyable, being loaded with drive and appealing melodies.  The
D major's 2nd Movement Scherzo is particularly rewarding with its pizzicato
opening section, but even here the debt to Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony
is painfully obvious.  The slow movements are covered in angst but tend
to outstay their welcome.

Concerning other reviews, the comments have gone as follows:

MusicWeb................"What we have here is an unsung master composer."
Classics Today.........."A genuine find."
American Record Guide..."Two truly remarkable Russian Symphonies."
Fanfare................."I am afraid their obscurity is more than accidental."
Gramophone.............."A pale shadow of his greater predecessors" and
"Bortkiewicz is one part vodka to 20 parts water."

Who's right?  Well, you'll have to make that decision on your own.  From
my perspective, Bortkiewicz is not a master composer nor a remarkable
one.  There are many dozens of Russian Symphonies that deserve greater
exposure than Bortkiewicz's.

Don's Conclusions: I'll give these Bortkiewicz symphonies a low-priority
recommendation.  The performances are excellent and the recorded sound
appropriately rich.  If this disc finds its way in the future to my audio
system, it will only be because of the pungent contributions from the
brass.  Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the disc just sits for years
in my music library; its impact on me has been minimal.  However, I am
impressed with the "vodka" comment from the Gramophone reviewer but feel
that five parts vodka would be a more accurate proportion.  Let's all
drink some vodka, and the music of Bortkiewicz might bloom.  Have a good
evening and stay alert!

Don Satz