HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:05:04 -0800
From:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Hello David and all,

jb} Thanks for the interesting rail-history .. we tend to forget these things in the bustle of
everyday.

re.,} Was {Beeswax} used as an ingredient, in a grease based in petroleum or tallow?

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear .. Beeswax {as near everything else} expands as it melts, and
it can be compounded to melt at very closely determined temperatures.

So when the pop-up {I'm done} turkey indicator came on the market .. it was seen as a cheap,
reliable way to indicate the temperature in the "hotbox" or bearing end caps .. or where ever
they put it.

Now crew members merely stroll down the tracks looking to see if the pop-up {I'm done .. for}
indicators show trouble.

jb
.