HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Greg Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:30:35 +1100
Hi Denis,

Thanks for your thoughtful (as always) comments.  I'm aware of the
literature relating to this form of pragmatism in the disposal of pauper
remains in Australia (and elsewhere), but the (admittedly scant) evidence we
have of the practice as used at Port Arthur seems to go against that trend,
which may be one reason to use archaeological methods (at some point) to
resolve the issue.  I agree totally with your analysis of the dichotomy
between evidence-based management and something 'other', but in Tasmania
that 'other' suspiciously resembles uninformed guesswork.  PAHSMA, at least
to the best of my knowledge, supports the evidence-based approach;  the
issue is that the local consent authorities apparently do not.  PAHSMA has
an evident interest in conserving (and interpreting) convict lives (and of
course a statutory mandate), and does have concerns about future
conservation of cultural resources - including convict burials.  There is an
entrenched view within the local heritage bureaucracy that burials do not
require conservation; the existing policy focuses almost totally on surface
landscaping issues (headstones and plantings); that burials themselves don't
constitute part of the cultural story of the nation.  According to present
attitudes, buried bodies are designed to break down, and if there is
anything that managers are doing (inadvertently or otherwise) that might
accelerate that process, then so what!

If that were a dominant attitude in society then OK, I'll go hang up my
trowel, but a) there is no evidence that that is the case - the vast
majority of feedback I have received has been positive, and b) why bother
doing salvage archaeology when a cemetery is under imminent threat, hey
they'll all end up as atoms anyway.

Getting back to the project for a second, the intent isn't to actually do
the detailed forensic research for anything other than benchmarking for the
purposes assessing the taphonomic (and conservation) status of the remains
for management purposes.  Any detailed research of individuals or groups
would be the subject of someone else's research design, and I agree would
have to pass some pretty tough tests to be approved - but this could be some
way down the track - hence the need to appropriately manage (curate?) the
potential resource.

The broader issue, of course, is whether colonial burials are of
archaeological significance at all - across the board.  It's not sufficient
to base a position on the idea of things being scientifically significant
only in a rescue context, but if people feel sorry for them then they have
no scientific value.  Social values will of course vary, and may be the
pre-dominate consideration in certain situations, but I don't see any reason
for one to extinguish the other.  Achieving the right balance and conserving
total cultural significance in order to pass the baton on to future
generations is what heritage management is about (surely?).  Just trying to
help.

Thanks again for the sage counsel.  I might drop you a line.

.