HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:56:31 -0500
From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
I was pretty sure it was an "urban" legend, and have passed it along
myself as such.  I can remember being told, quite seriously, about signs
for either marijuana cultivation or an active moonshine still (working
in the southeast, though I understand stills are not unknown in the
west), and to abandon the survey area, in greatest haste, if these signs
were present.  Then, this was followed with:  "You see, out in
Oregon/Washington/northern California a few years ago, these two techs
were.........., and, then they threw both bodies into the river."  "The
river" almost always closes the story, giving some consistency to the
folktale.

I've seen site files describing moonshine stills, and remember one in a
national forest, near Columbia, S.C., marked on the surface by a big,
steel tank, either one tank in several pieces, or the flattened remains
of 2/3 tanks.  The still in question had been dynamited (the tanks were
ruptured, with the steel bent outward) by revenue agents in the 1950s;
will stand corrected on the dates, particulars of this site.  Yeah, give
it 50 years, perhaps less, and we'll be reporting marijuana farms, pot
drops, and meth labs as sites.  They do fit all the criteria, and will
probably be one of the few remains of such clandestine activities.

D. Babson.