HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Robin Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:16:26 -0800
John,

Sub-floor pits are quite common in miners' log cabins throughout Interior
Alaska, dating to the late-19th and early-20th centuries, and are variable
in size and construction detail.  "Typical" size is approx. 70 x 100 cm
(rectangular) x 70 cm depth (straight side walls and flat floor), although
I have seen some as small as 40 x 40 x 30 cm depth and as large as taking
up the entire area of the floor of a cabin (15 x 15 ft in some cases).
Smaller subfloor pits/boxes are lined on all four sides and the floor with
variable dimensional lumber.  Larger cellars require log walls.

Ethnicity/race is not apparently an issue.

Perhaps this is not what you were searching for. (?)

Best,

Robin

                      John McCarthy
                      <philadiggerjohn@        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      YAHOO.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Sub-Floor Pits/Root Cellars
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      10/07/03 10:22 AM
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Folks:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

I am familiar with the African-American association of small (generally 4-
to 5-foot square) sub-floor pits or "root cellars" found in the
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Chesapeake.  I have recently
discovered that such features have been found as far south as Spiers
Landing in South Carolina and one as far north as Long Island at the Betsey
Prince Site.  All appear to be associated with African Americans.

My question is two fold: 1) does anyone know of such pits in a
non-African-American context? (There is something in the back of my mind
about at least one example.) and 2) does anyone know of any other such
features in the north beside the Betsey Prince Site?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance,
John

John P. McCarthy, RPA
Principal Archaeologist/Project Manager
John Milner Associates, Inc.