From:
Ray Osnato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:18:07 EST
Not having caught all the postings in response to the Liszt Sonata query
I apologize in advance if I am redundant.

I must put in a vote for the 1930 Horowitz recording.  I think it is
just as thrilling as the Agerich recording in its own way.  Horowitz'
stereo recording tried too hard to be musical and there was some
fussy-sounding voicing throughout.  This is the young Horowitz whose
musical make-up at that time was perfectly suited to Liszt.  People rave
about the Cortot recording.  It is stodgy and poorly executed in my
opinion.  If you want to hear a historic performance of the Sonata, this
is it.

More recent recordings to which I return often are Curzon's and Geza
Anda's.  Both play up the musical content over bravura display and are
among the most satisfying performances I know.

I also have a soft spot for Lazar Berman's Melodiya recording, available
for a time on Columbia/Melodiya LP (with a hair-raising Mephisto Waltz).
If you see the LP in a bin somewhere, pick it up. Berman's tone and
technique are amazing and it was, perhaps, his most musical performance
of those Melodiya Liszt recordings.

Another Russian whose Liszt Sonata was wonderful was Gilels.  I prefer
it to Richter's, finding Gilels a little more willing to relax -- Richter
is a bit more driven.  The Gilels I believe is on BMG coupled with a
fine Schubert Op. 53.

Ray Osnato
Wishing that Ignaz Friedman's performance of the Liszt Sonata for Australian
Radio didn't end up in a landfill.