From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:26:52 -0400
I stumbled upon this entry in today's (7/29) program guide as being
presented on Maryland's Public Television station, described as follows:

   "1930s Hollywood meets 17th-century Spain in this retelling of Mozart's
   *Don Giovanni* through the eyes of his servant Leporello. (1 hr)"

I expected a sort of *Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead* version of
M's masterpiece.  Actually it was mostly a condesation of the opera achieved
by eliminating all scenes in which Leporello didn't appear.  Even some of
the arias where he did appear were cut short.  Among other things, this left
out my favorite seduction song, "La ci darem' la mano", Don Ottavio's two
arias, Zerlina's two arias recapturing Masetto, and a lot of other good
stuff.  Most of the female arias that were retained were Dona Elvira's.
There's an interplay between the characters in color watching themselves
projected on a screen in black and white by a hand-cranked camera and if
some sort of a point, or point of view, was to be advanced, I missed it
totally.

Of course any music from *Don Giovanni* is, IMO, worth taking time out to
hear and this was no exception.  The Don and the servant were both sung by
Dmitri Hvorostovsky.

An hour of music from *Don Giovanni* in a contrived format for which I
could find no reason.

Walter Meyer