From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:41:35 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
      Waldszenen, Opus 82

Earl Wild
Ivory Classics 73001
Recorded 1987
Issued 2003
Program:
Papillons, Op.2
Piano Sonata, Op.11
Waldszenen, Op.82
TT 63:48

This Earl Wild disc is Ivory Classic's newest release and complements
the one other Wild/Schumann offering from Ivory's stable of recordings.
I will be reviewing Papillons and the Piano Sonata at later dates, but
I assure readers that an Earl Wild disc of Schumann piano works is always
an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Wild's general approach to Schumann involves relatively quick tempos,
much rhythmic vitality, and sharply etched contours; there are times he
can sound jittery, and the effect is usually enlightening.  He is also
excellent at bringing out the wit and playfulness of the music.  Overall,
I'd say that Wild highlights the life-affirming aspects of Schumann's
musical personality.  With Wild, there's always a way to improve one's
situation.  These performance characteristics are abundantly on display
in Wild's reading of Waldszenen which is brimming with the juices of
getting on with life.

Unfortunately, the audio characteristics won't win any prizes.  The
sound is thin, bright, and possesses little bass response.  Further,
there's a noise similar to a demonstrative dusting of furniture which
is a constant throughout the work.  On the plus side, the piano tone is
clear and allows for Wild's exceptional detail.

Wild starts us off with a very fast-paced "Entrance" which somehow
manages to convey the spectrum of emotional themes; he even instills
the piece with a delectable playfulness.  The two hunting scenes are
appropriately powerful and exciting, although I've heard more memorable
readings.  "Lonely Flowers" finds Wild offering a wonderful contrast
between loneliness and hope, and his "Place of Evil" is quite bleak with
again a line of optimism conveying an excellent alternative.

My sole quibble with Wild's performance is that I would have liked a
little more intensity out of "Bird as Prophet" and the last scene as
well.

Don's Conclusions: Excellent performance of Waldszenen just slightly
less rewarding than the recordings from Richter and Wirssaladze.  Wild
is particularly focused on the life-affirming aspects of the music, and
no other version offers this approach more effectively than Mr. Wild.
Although sound quality is not at a high level, it does no damage to
Wild's conception or execution.

Below is my current order of preference for the Waldszenen recordings I
have reviewed:

Essential:
Wirssaladze/Live Classics
Richter/Deutsche Grammophon