From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:27:50 +1100
Don Satz:

>If I could only have one set of recordings from Vox, it would be the 3
>cd set of Chopin piano music from Novaes.  I'm sure other list members
>will recite many orchestral items.

First, some more piano ones.  There are Walter Klien's complete Mozart
and Schubert sonatas.  There are many Romantic piano concertos played
by Michael Ponti: some of them have since appeared in better recordings,
but there are a number that haven't been recorded otherwise.  There are
two very interesting boxes of "unknown" string quartets, one with music
by such people as Surinach, Bloch and Hindemith, the other devoted to
American composers, even Benjamin Franklin.  I recently bought Khachaturian's
complete Gayaneh, a performance originally on Melodiya.  Best of all was
discovering that a (I hesitate to use "the") Horenstein mono version of
Bruckner's 8th, which I heard a very long time ago as my introduction
to this work, was available and was coupled with Liszt's Faust Symphony
about which I remembered Deryk Barker enthusing mightily with, as I
found, good cause.  Many of these I bought from Berkshire for less than
you'd pay for a cup of coffee and a sandwich, but with a great deal more
nourishment.

Richard Pennycuick