Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:35:43 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
   Joseph Marx (1882-1964)
        Nature Trilogy

1. Symphonic Night Music (1922 - 26:01)
2. Idyll - Concertino on the pastoral fourth (1925 - 14:53)
3. Spring Music (1925 - 23:11)

Bochum Symphony Orchestra
Steven Sloane, conductor
Recorded in Maximillianpark, Hamm, Germany, June 2002
ASV 1137 [64:19]

It has been a long time since I encountered so little tension and contrast
found in this Joseph Marx disc.  The Nature that he offers is big, lush,
and constantly friendly.  In my experience, when Nature goes 'big' the
likely result is disaster.  Regardless, over 60 minutes of benign music
is hard to take at one sitting.  To add to the negatives, Marx sounds
more like a Hollywood entertainer than a naturalist.  His gushing syrup
spreads to the horizon with climaxes that tend to meander into the
soundstage with no rhyme or reason except to call attention to themselves.

Marx's music sounds like a mix of watered-down Debussy, Holst's Planets
without any bite or great tunes, loud new-age music, and Tchaikovsky
without intensity.  Essentially, this is mood music only.

I can't be sure, but my gut tells me that Steven Sloane and the Bochum
Symphony Orchestra do absolutely nothing to shake the music out its
monotonous doldrums.  Perhaps it would be an impossible task, but I have
no desire to hear the Berlin Philharmonic take a stab at it.  I do have
fond memories of an ASV disc of Marx String Quartets, but the "Nature"
music is a different and inferior kettle of fish.

To be fair, I should relate that many folks have spoken well of the
recording, and my opinion might well be a minority one.  However, I
simply find nothing redeeming in this orchestral music except Marx's
ability to create and maintain lush environments.

Don's Conclusions: If you want to experience the best of Joseph Marx,
head to the ASV chamber music disc or a disc of his songs.  The "Nature
Trilogy" is largely one-dimensional, not highly evocative of Nature, and
bereft of even one wonderful melody.  For what it's worth, the sound is
exceptional.

Don Satz