Thu, 8 May 2003 14:19:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
        "I can't get into the remaining hive
        to kill & replace the queen.
        Just too aggressive."

If I had this hive and wanted to do what you would like to do, I might try a combination of the
techniques that have already been proposed, but I would include the use of a vacuum.  Just
a normal vacuum with good suction will do.  Nothing demoralizes bees like getting sucked into
a vacuum.  Use smoke if it helps, and suck them off as they come to the top bars.  If you're
good, you can even suck them out of the air (like in Ghostbusters).  Then suck them off the
frames, going frame by frame.  If you use one of the kinds with a water basin, put a little (very
little) dish soap in the water.  It's a lot safer than explosives or flame throwers or some of the
other things that have been suggested, but more practical and maybe not as fun (unless you
are blessed with a vivid imagination).  I understand that there was/is a beekeeper in Dallas
who drives around with his bee vacuum in a converted Hearse that has "Bee Busters" painted
on the side.  He charges for removing the bees and then at the end of the day sells the
"packages" to beekeepers so I hear.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2