From:
Brent Farler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:10:50 -0500
> After searching the archives for a hive body jig, with no luck, thought
> I'd ask if anyone out there has made one or knows of plans for making
one.

>...and DO buy the "stackable" type dado blade for your table saw.

BeeSource has an article on making hive bodies -

http://www.beesource.com/plans/boxjoint/index1.htm

Also,

 Here are a couple links that show how to build a box joint jig:
 http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodmall/projects/boxjntjig.html
 http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/Wood/lynnjig.html

Spend the $55 to get a high quality stackable dado set with shims from a
woodworker's shop (e.g. Woodcraft) rather than a homeowners store. Will
make your life easier and your boxes last a lot longer. The quality of your
joints will have a big impact on how much moisture can get into and decay
the wood. A box joint jib runs around $110 or you can make one with the
plans above.  The commercial jib allows a lot of flexibility - something
you may not want to pay for if your just making hive bodies and supers over
and over.

One word of caution - the standard box joint is a 3/4" cut, some starter
model table saws have trouble handling a Dado of that width.  Either the
shaft is too short or the horizontally mounted motor cannot handle the
weight. But clearly (IMHO) the table saw is much easier and faster than
trying to use your router.

There are different claims on how many hives you can make, some have
claimed 40 per hour, some 40 per afternoon, I personally can make 1 in an
afternoon and two evenings but that includes several scraps and a couple of
trips to Home Depot.

brent farler
Carabella Farm
(self professed Serial Remodeler)

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.