From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:06:40 +1000
Robert Stumpf:

>Whilst on the subject of Mahler Symphonies, anyone want to make some
>recommendations about #3?  I have Zander and Rattle in my collection.

I have a soft spot for Bernstein on Sony, although it's more than starting
to show its age.  A while back, I acted on Tony Duggan's recommendation
of Horenstein's on Unicorn-Kanchana.  It digs deeper and on balance is
the best I've heard: Unicorn's recording is very forward, which suits
the music.  I got my copy from Berkshire, who may well offer it again.
In the meantime, it's still apparently available in the UK.

And as I said recently and David Harbin did just today, do try Horenstein's
8th on BBC Legends - it's almost a mandatory purchase.  It might even
change our esteemed moderator's opinion of Mahler's vocal music!

Richard Pennycuick